Friday, November 1, 2013

Smorgasbord Love



New York City never looked better than it did on Monday night as we rode our bus into Manhattan, after journeying for 22 hours across the globe from Japan. Each time I go away for a length of time, I return with this similar sentiment.  I realize just how inviting the city lights feel, how comforting the honks and street noises sound, and how cozy my little apartment is, tucked away from the busy atmosphere below.  With all its commotion and oddities, the city is my home. 

Nevertheless, Japan was a breath of fresh air (both figuratively and literally) and I felt extremely fortunate not only to experience their culture, but also to perform a wide variety of iconic Balanchine ballets. In one show we performed Balanchine’s Swan Lake (which is a condensed version of the 2.5 hour ballet), The Four Temperaments, and Symphony in C – each with their own distinctive flair.  You have the dramatic score and elegant swan-like port de bras in Swan Lake, the edgy and hip-thrusting movements of The Four Temperaments, and finally, the purely classical Symphony in C, performed by a cast of 48 dancers – the women all in dazzling white tutus. I had performed Balanchine’s Swan Lake before, but this was my first time dancing the first movement corps in Symphony in C. Hearing the joyous music and sensing the sparkling effect of our costumes made me feel radiant and utterly happy to be onstage. And we were in Japan!  Being in this exciting place, performing this new part and such an array of repertoire reinvigorated my passion for dance. 

(Here's a clip about the new design of our Symphony in C costumes - it gives you a feel for the ballet's radiant tone, and the background music is actual selections from the ballet!).   




Natalie and I at Smorgasburg
It’s safe to say that our performances in Japan were like a smorgasbord, because in one show you could see the many different styles of the New York City Ballet.  So for this week’s excursion, I’m going to take you to Smorgasburg in Brooklyn – only the best round-up of local and innovative foods.  Smorgasburg is an outdoor food market with views of the Manhattan skyline that takes place on Sundays from 11am to 6pm at Pier 5 in Brooklyn Bridge Park.  (There’s also another location in Williamsburg open on Saturdays if Sunday doesn’t work for you).  I first experienced Smorgasburg with my sister, Natalie, and my friend Grace this summer, and we were blown away.  Vendors offered a range of products from tofu salads to grilled cheeses, and each put a unique spin on the traditional meal.  I chose a 10 layer Mexican sandwich with fried chicken on a ciabatta roll (!!), and I was in heaven. For dessert, I had no ordinary peanut butter shake, but instead one blended with a slice of s’mores pie! I did wish that the peanut butter flavor was more prominent, but nonetheless I was excited to taste this inventive treat.  If it is still warm enough outside for ice cream, Grace highly recommends an ice cream sandwich from The Good Batch – they even have seasonal flavors right now such as the Pumpkin Chai and Mexican Chocolate sandwiches.  You might just see me there next weekend...
My incredible 10 layer
Mexican sandwich!

After all this eating, you’d probably want to walk it off, and walking is particularly pleasurable in the crisp fall weather.  You’ve probably all seen pictures of the Brooklyn Bridge, but have you ever walked it? The bridge’s arches look even grander when standing beneath them, and the city views from above the East River are stunning.  It’s only a 20-minute walk north of Smorgasburg, and to walk across the bridge itself, set aside a good 45 minutes – you need extra time to get that Instagram-worthy photo!  Not only are you looking at something beautiful, but also something with historical significance; it connected Manhattan and Brooklyn for the first time in 1883, and was the longest suspension bridge in the world for 20 years. But no matter all the research you do, there’s nothing like taking it all in from beneath those majestic arches.

The Brooklyn Bridge
If you didn’t already love New York, you might just fall in love with it after this adventure. Smorgasburg and the Brooklyn Bridge respectively capture the diversity and history of city.  Even though the city may not feel like home to all, especially with those loud and crazy cab drivers, at the end of this day you’ll feel satisfied, humbled, and inspired. Perhaps a new perspective will also reinvigorate you, as Japan did for me. 

2 comments: