Thursday, November 21, 2013

A Little Britain in Manhattan


We have yet to perform the Nutcracker this year, but NYCB has already started rehearsing ballets that will be performed in the 2014 winter season! As crazy as it may seem, this is actually the usual procedure each year; in order to be ready for the 20-30 ballets we perform in January through March, we have to rehearse whenever we can find time.  And there is still time now before the Nutcracker rush.

In London - Couldn't resist a photo
with one of their telephone booths
Earlier this week we had our first rehearsal for Union Jack, a ballet that pays homage to British culture. This hour-long ballet is divided into three parts, in which you see traditional Scottish dances performed wearing kilts, a comical pas de deux with the “Pearly King and Queen of London,” and finally, lively jigs performed by dancers dressed as members of the Royal Navy. With 74 total dancers involved, this ballet is quite the spectacle.  I first performed it soon after joining the company, dancing in the “MacDonald of Sleat” regiment. The music for “Sleat” is solely the pounding of drums, and the drummers' intensity is matched by our quick and intricate steps.  I remember feeling like an army cadet, dressed in my red kilt and black cap, moving to the beat of the drums alongside my fellow dancers.  I also remember being extremely nervous about messing up the quick choreography. If you missed one step, it’d be a struggle to catch back up!

I can't believe I found this clip (below) from the sailor section! Some of my former teachers are dancing!


This past summer my family and I journeyed to London and experienced some of the classic British traditions; one of my favorites (and also my mom’s) was perhaps high tea at the Ritz Hotel, where we sampled finger sandwiches, scones with clotted cream, and of course, world-class tea.  If you can afford this excursion, I highly recommend going.  But if that’s not in your future, never fear; Tea and Sympathy is the place for you right here in Manhattan. 

Tea and Sympathy Store 
Located in Greenwich Village, this TEENY restaurant offers only the most authentic British foods.  From tea to shepherd’s pie to sticky toffee pudding, this place has it all.  Not only is the food delicious and authentic, but the royal collectibles on the walls and humble decor also make you feel as if you are in a cute café in Covent Garden.  I was introduced to this restaurant this past summer by my friend, Maria, who grew up in the UK… so it's safe to say that she knows what she’s talking about when it comes to British delicacies. My one warning is do not go with a group of more than 4 people; even as a party of two we had a hard time squeezing into a table by the window.  In addition, remember to stop by the Tea and Sympathy store next door, which sells British jams, candies, teapots, and more. You’ll be delighted by this little gem in Manhattan, and mind you, do stop by the Koch Theatre to see Union Jack this winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment