Wednesday, November 13, 2013

And So The Season Begins!


Snow Scene in Balanchine's The Nutcracker

‘Tis the season of Balanchine's The Nutcracker.  We aren’t quite ready to perform just yet, but the rehearsals have begun.  Unlike last week, in which I was constantly learning new choreography, this week will be more of a “refresher course,” since I have performed this ballet with the company 48 times each year, for the past three years.  That’s a lot of Nutcrackers.  But I can honestly say that I’m not tired of it. In fact, I look forward to it each year.  The pros definitely outweigh the cons. 

Children from the School of American Ballet
enjoying the "Party Scene" in Balanchine's 
The Nutcracker
Pros of The Nutcracker
  • Balanchine’s choreography, Tchaikovsky’s music, the sets, and the costumes are all gorgeous, and together create a near perfect production of The Nutcracker. 
  • We get to participate in a holiday tradition that has been around for almost 60 years! (Balanchine’s The Nutcracker premiered on February 2, 1954). 
  • It draws a range of audience members – ballet fans, tourists, New Yorkers.  The house is almost always full, making it NYCB’s biggest moneymaker.
  • There are lots of children involved, whose energy and pure joy easily put a smile on our faces.
  • As corps dancers, we perform the same roles each night, which allows us to become comfortable with the movements – enough so that we are able to work on perfecting even the smallest details while onstage. 
  • It’s such a festive show for the holidays! During the snow scene in particular, I feel like I am in a winter wonderland.
  • Many of my friends and family come to see the shows. Even if I’ve done 34 shows already, I’ll make sure they see my best one yet. 

Cons of The Nutcracker

  • We hear the music EVERYWHERE.  It follows us into the malls, our TV commercials, hotel lobbies… We’re surrounded!
  • Rehearsing during the day and doing 8 or 9 performances of the same Nutcracker each week is exhausting, and there is little downtime to do anything else besides dance. 
  • Sometimes the snow scene feels more like a snowstorm; I can’t seem to see my own hands with the wind and fake snow coming at us from all directions.
  • The fake snow always finds its way onto my clothes, my couch, and my bedroom floor.  No matter how much I vacuum at home, those little white bits keep appearing. 

One-of-a-Kind Display at Barney's New York
To conclude, despite the repetition and physical exhaustion, The Nutcracker is a magical ballet, both to watch and dance.  Not only is the ballet magical, but also all of New York City radiates with the festive spirit.  One of my favorite holiday activities is to walk down 5th Avenue and simply look at the window displays.  They don’t just embody the holiday spirit, but they also reflect the artistry of the designers. The designers often put a twist on the traditional images of the holidays (such as turkeys, Christmas trees, menorahs, and snow), as Barney's did with the window display of a Thanksgiving table in 2010.  The display shows the chaotic side of Thanksgiving, with Food Network stars battling it out; the turkey is chef Mario Batali's head!  I’ve also seen some displays that use unconventional materials, like coffee filters, to make holiday shapes and scenes in the windows. 

Christmas Day (2010) at Rockefeller Center with my
sister, Natalie, and brother, John
These displays are works of art and not to be missed. Although it’s fun to go closer to Christmas, or even on Christmas (as my family and I did a few years ago), now is perhaps the best time to visit 5th Avenue.  As there is still much time to shop before the holidays, the crowds are smaller, which makes the streets easier to maneuver. I’d recommend starting at F.A.O Schwartz on 58th street, and working your way down to 45th street.  Be sure to stop at Rockefeller Center to get a glimpse of the Christmas tree (coming soon) above the ice-skating rink – an iconic symbol of the holidays in New York. Around the corner from Rockefeller Center is Magnolia Bakery (49th and 6th Ave) where you can stop in for a sweet snack.  They are famous for their banana pudding, but my personal favorites are the hummingbird cake, chocolate cake with vanilla frosting, and the Snickers icebox pie.  As you can probably tell, I have tried a number of Magnolia’s desserts, but these are my go-to options. (P.S – the cakes are a better buy than the cupcakes because you get so much more cake for only a dollar more!) With a Magnolia treat in hand, and the festive window displays to feast your eyes, you will surely get into the holiday mode. 

We’ll, I’m off to rehearse the Waltz of the Flowers now... Here’s to the start of another Nutcracker season, and the future celebrations in the city!

No comments:

Post a Comment