Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The Gifts of Lincoln Center


With Taylor Stanley in Mes Oiseaux (2012)
There’s nothing like returning to the joy of dancing when you’ve been away for some time.  Like any blessing in life, it’s easy to take the gift of movement for granted. It’s only upon losing the ability to dance, even if just for a few days, that I realize the preciousness of this gift and its defining presence in my life.  Dancing isn’t just my job; it’s my passion.  On most days I wake up excited to fine-tune my technique, to rehearse a range of ballets, and to perform for audiences in the evenings.  Of course, there are downsides, as we face criticisms from our directors and reviewers, and deal with all sorts of aches and pains on a daily basis. But this gift is ultimately liberating.  Each time I’m on the stage I feel that rush of adrenaline, a sense of authority, and pure happiness in expressing myself.  I’m my best and most fulfilled self when I’m dancing, and I feel very fortunate to be able to call this gift my profession. 

Whether you live in the city, or are stopping by for a vacation, I invite you to my workplace to experience the many inspirational artistic offerings of Lincoln Center.  In addition to NYCB, there’s a never-ending range of shows and excursions to chose from: The Metropolitan Opera, the New York Philharmonic, the NY Public Library for the Performing Arts, Juilliard performances and much more.  If you don’t know or can’t decide what to see, stop by the David Rubenstein Atrium (on Broadway between 62nd and 63rd) to talk to Lincoln Center reps about what’s playing, and to possibly purchase some discounted tickets! Even if you don’t catch a show, there’s something magical about simply walking around the plaza, particularly at night when the sparkling fountain and three majestic theaters glow in the darkness.  

Lincoln Center (even this doesn't capture its magnificence)

If there’s one excursion that I’m most passionate about, it’s this one since it’s close to my heart. By journeying to Lincoln Center, your lives are sure to be enriched by the talent and impeccable quality of its performances, or by the beauty of its architecture.  In the city where so much culture abounds, you’ll find Lincoln Center to be a cultural reservoir. So take this excursion to be moved and inspired, and I hope to see you soon!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Claire
    I've been following your blogs for a while and enjoy them very much. I have never had any personal contact with dance and find that I rather enjoy it. The piece you posted a couple of weeks ago based on sailors made me emotional which surprised me.
    I am a friend and neighbor of your grandfather Leo Thonnes in Federal Way, WA and he has told me about you. You seem like a very nice and happy young lady who loves what she's doing in life. More power to you. I'm happy to have a connection with you, however remote.
    Elmer Reed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elmer! That means a lot. I'm glad that you've enjoyed reading my posts, and I hope to meet you in person on my next trip to Federal Way!

      Delete
  2. Hello, Claire!

    It's Julia from NCSA!! I was so thankful to find your blog. I wanted to get ahold of you, because I had the blessing of watching "The Nutcracker" on Wednesday morning with the school children. YOU WERE AMAZING!! When I saw your name in the program, I was overjoyed.

    And you were simply fantastic. Arabian has never been done better!!!

    Thank you so much for your gifts. Talk to you soon!!

    xo,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julia! It was so fun to have the kids in the audience because they are so audible with their responses! Hope you're enjoying the holiday season and I'll see you sometime soon!
      Claire

      Delete