Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Injury Strikes Again... but One Market Saves the Day


Injury is inevitable for all people, and for dancers, it’s also pretty frequent. It’s no wonder that we sustain injuries, since we push our bodies to the limits and fight fatigue daily. But when it happens, it’s always a trying time.

After Friday’s performance of the Nutcracker, I could tell I needed a break. I’ve been dealing with a leg strain that has not improved, and for it to get better I must part with the stage for a few days.  It’s always tough to be apart from the job that I love so much, and to see or hear about my friends sharing moments onstage without me.  But ultimately you gotta do what you gotta do.  If that means taking time off to heal, then let it be.  Taking care of your body is like a second, but equally important job; I may not be dancing right now, but I’m working by doing the RICE routine – rest, ice, compression, and elevation. Even when I’m performing, I try to do these things at night in order to calm my muscles and get ready for the next day. Sometimes it’s hard to keep up with this routine, since all I want is a good meal and my warm bed after a long day of pirouettes and jetés.  And sometimes injuries just happen no matter how diligent you are with these preventative measures. 

Union Square Holiday Market (or the North Pole?)
Taking your mind off of an injury is one of the biggest challenges, but I’ve heard that if you can do so, the healing process speeds up!  So this weekend my sister and I ventured to the picturesque Union Square Holiday Market, and my anxieties faded away. At the market, it seems like you’re in the North Pole.  Not only is it outdoors and therefore a little chilly like the North Pole, but as you shop beneath the red and white striped tents, you feel like you are in an elves’ village, surveying the handmade crafts that the elves, or I mean humans, have created. Inside their illuminated tents, the craftsmen have such unique (and relatively affordable) jewelry, artwork, kitchenware, foods, hats and scarves, which make for great holiday gifts. If you find the tent that sells chocolate truffles, DO NOT pass up the free sample! (Listen to them when they say not to chew it, because it literally melts in your mouth). And if you’re having trouble finding the right gift for someone, perhaps take that someone with you to the market to see if anything catches his or her eye… It’s worked for me in past. 

Look for these signs to find the
melt-in-your-mouth truffles and hot cocoa!
The market is generally open from 11am-8pm from now until December 24, so there’s still plenty of time to catch it.  If you can’t make it to Union Square, there’s also a smaller, and perhaps more manageable, sister market in Columbus Circle, with many of the same vendors.  The holiday spirit is abounding in both locations, so even if you have no intention of buying anything and just need a minute to take your mind off of life’s troubles, a walk through this wonderland ought to do the trick. 

No comments:

Post a Comment