Saturday, October 19, 2013

Rest and Recuperation

The "downward dog" pose in Yoga

Everyone needs a little “R&R” from time to time, and for dancers, this is most indispensable after the end of a performance season.  Last Sunday evening, after tearing off our pointe shoes and scrubbing off our makeup, it was time for some serious rest and recuperation.  For me, this usually means eating, sleeping, watching movies, and just doing good things for my body – for the most part anyway.  My family and friends will attest that I have a large appetite, and sometimes I go overboard on the food and later regret the “food coma” that causes me to root myself to the couch. (We’ve all been there done that right?) Aside from eating sumptuous foods, I do find therapeutic solutions to fatigue and muscle tension by getting a massage or doing Pilates. If I’m sensing sore feet and feeling strong-willed, I’ll also soak my feet in an ice bath – BRRR!

Perhaps an ice bath isn’t your idea of a relaxing time, and I don’t blame you.  But here’s a suggestion for a calming, invigorating, and free (!) experience on the Upper West Side.  Each Sunday, the Lululemon store, which sells the over-priced but incredibly comfy athletic garb, holds a yoga class called Sunday Salutations at 9:30am, with space available for the first 40 people to sign up that day. (There are a few locations throughout the city, but considering what I propose to do after the class, you might want to try the location on Broadway and 64th street).  If you’re a newcomer to yoga, you may think that the strange positions will make you sore, and you’re probably right. But on the plus side, it is not a strenuous activity since much of it involves maintaining your balance, stretching your muscles, and breathing into each pose. I always feel rejuvenated after taking a yoga class, even if my arms feel limp from doing so many “downward dogs!” 

Kelly and me at Alice's Tea Cup (with Alice's
florentine, two scones, and a pot of Indian Chai Tea)
After your yoga wake-up, stroll north up Columbus Ave, eventually making your way to Alice’s Tea Cup on the corner of 73rd street.  If you could try only one brunch restaurant in Manhattan, this is absolutely the one to experience.  This quaint, calming café underground is best known for its tea and scones; the wall behind the pick-up counter is lined with an assortment of fresh tea blends, and their scones are perfectly crisp on the outside while remaining buttery and soft on the inside! (My mouth is watering just thinking about them).  For a sweet option, I suggest the pumpkin scone with its caramel glaze on top, but my sister would highly recommend the French toast, which comes doused in an apricot-maple syrup. For a savory meal, I’d order the “Alice's florentine” (eggs benedict served on a buttermilk or ham and cheese scone).  Just a heads up, Alice’s does not take reservations and they are usually busiest at brunch on the weekends. BUT, you can give them your name and phone number, go wander around nearby shops or Central Park, and then return to the restaurant when they call you with an availability. Once you have the comforts of a cup of tea and a warm scone in your hands, you’ll enter a world of perfect tranquility that will take away all your stress.  And if you don’t believe a day of yoga, tea, and scones can do that, go try it out for yourself and let me know how you feel!  

Stay tuned for a Japanese-inspired post - we're off to perform in Tokyo and Osaka this week! Sayonara for now NYC!

No comments:

Post a Comment